What are the best ways of getting referrals? There are client referrals and there’s also referrals from family and friends.
With client referrals it’s quite simple:
- Do a great job for them, they will talk.
- Ask them for the referrals. Explain to them that what you do is also great for other people as well and they will benefit from it as well.
- Explain to them that this is your most successful marketing.
- Give them something to pass on, eg. gift certificates, samples etc.
With family and friends:
- Many family and friends don’t truly know everything you may do, so, educate them by telling general stories of how what you do has helped others.
- Do something for them by not charging them and they may want to return a favour to you by letting others know about what you do.
- Ask them for referrals to help you out in your business. they actually do care, but, you are not top of their mind and sometimes they may assume that you have enough business.
Of course, whatever the source of referral, once you do get a referral, even if it doesn’t turn into business, make a big deal about thanking them for that referral as this will encourage them to give you more referrals.
Not everybody is a greater referrer, so, remember, if you follow those suggestions, you only need a few good referrers and then you can turn your business into a truly referral-based business.